Thursday, December 23, 2010

Late Night - Actor Scott Phury

When I got Late Night, I'll admit it, I really wanted to mess around with the vampires. Since I do a vampire story, and it's one of the things I missed from Sims 2, it seemed the most logical place for me to start. But then again, I wanted to see what the game had to offer day and night, so I created Scott Phury (I was reading J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series at the time), actor. His top is one of the new clothing choices that came with the game - quite nice, actually.

So, I started by wanting to get into one of the nicer nightclubs. This was considered the happening place for the evening, so off Scott went for a nice night out. He had one celebrity point and money so I thought he'd either get in or be able to bribe his way in. Until he came up against this bouncer. She bounced him right on out of there without his getting in.

Frankly, if I'd seen this chick, I would have ran away from the door.

He might not have gotten in with one celebrity point, but this paparazzi chick did start taking pictures of him.

So, since poor Scott couldn't get into the nice places, I sent him to one of the regular bars where he ran into his first vampire. I was curious if all vampires had glowing red eyes after this encounter and a few others, but no, red glowing eyes are not the norm.

I'll admit, I really like the looks of the vampires this time around. They got rid of the bad Gothic, bleh-spewing, cape wearing creatures. The skin tones are nicer and I really do like the eyes.

Notice that one of the two people running through each other have a need bathroom balloon. Since they can and do drink from the bars autonomously and apparently just being a Sim in this world make their bladders fail at an alarming rate, and since they don't seem to have any idea how to get to a bathroom, there are a lot of bladder accidents happening, no matter how nice the bar is.

Okay, a cool trick now is you can buy a drink for someone. Scott stayed at the bar until he received a tray with two glasses. He then took the tray over to his drinking partner and she took one drink and he took the other, the tray disappearing. They can then stand around and talk. Like sitting and talking, you can choose to change the subject to whatever you wish. It's a nice social I think adds to the game.

The elevators have a nice look and are a good addition. Unlike TS2, when you select to enter the elevator, it asks you where you want to go, giving the name of whatever floor is available to play.

The nice bars will generally have a piano player, and the ability for your Sim play an instrument. I haven't gotten around to trying, but I believe you can choose to jam with the piano player.

The bartenders, or mixologists as they're called, if they're skilled can have a nice variety of drinks to choose from. Some are mood drinks, I believe some are skill improving drinks and some will actually change the character's traits temporarily. It's a learnable skill as well, and then the Sim can moonlight as a bartender. It doesn't interfere with their day job (I don't believe but I haven't been playing much since I got Late Night so I haven't seen a lot of what the EP really has to offer). I believe it just gives them the opportunity to earn more money. I'm trying to give Mack Stone the skill because although the PI business does well enough, he's going to need some extra money if he's going to remain rich.

Don't remember exactly where I ran into the bubble bar at, but you can choose the flavor you want your bubble to be, I, of course, chose chocolate. There are some rather fun expressions and movements they have to go along with the bar. And it does improve fun very quickly.

The subway is way cool. In Bridgeport they're spaced around so Sims can easily and quickly travel from one location to the next without waiting for the taxi. I understand there is a way to add them to existing neighborhoods as well, but I haven't done it yet. I do want to get them added into Sunset Valley where my Sim families live.

Musicians can play for tips in the subway as well. I don't know if it was a bug that has been fixed, but Yuri went into a subway to play and in one day he made 8,000 simoleans.

So, as much as I like the elevators they can be a pain in the ass. Scott lives in the only available apartment in his building for a playable Sim and I'm not even sure which floor it's on, but I do know that by the time he gets out of the apartment, the elevator comes to the floor and he gets to the car pool, he can be late for work. I've found it's easier just to start him out about 15 minutes early to the front of the building.

However, if you are running late, and he gets caught in the elevator door, you'll become late enough to get the missing work warning.

This move was chuckle worthy the first couple of times I saw it, but by the 1,000th time, I was frankly beyond tired of it. It'd become simply an annoyance.

So Scott finally got 4 points in celebrity and now every time I turn around, someone wants to take his picture. Fortunately, Scott's a trooper and likes to pose for the camera.

This guy was the bartender in the bar Scott was eating at. Oh, yeah, you can eat at the bars, too. Things like hot wings, nachos, onion rings, etc.

In Bridgeport there's this food truck that'll drive around town. Sometimes you can see it parked and go up and order something quick from it. I found this one outside a bar one night.

Once I moved Scott out of Bridgeport and into Sunset Valley, I noticed the paparazzi and the bouncers were randomly created by the game, and to my amusement, they were now normal sized/looking Sims. There are a number of fat paparazzi, but the breast augmentation seems to be missing. Apparently, plastic surgeons aren't as popular in Sunset Valley as they are in Bridgeport. Scott's eating at the bar by the way, while she's snapping a picture of him.

I've never seen anything that came from the paparazzi taking pictures except a positive moodlet for being recognized. Outside of that, as far as I'm concerned, the paparazzi are just a useless annoyance.

Then, there are the constant requests for an autograph. They can get annoying as well because they will interrupt other things. You can cancel autonomous requests, however.

Oh, yeah, I didn't even go into the acting portion of the game. Oops, well, I guess I'll handle that when I do a post on Scott like I do with the other families I'm following. Getting Scott four celebrity points seemed important for an actor, but I'll admit, getting those was easy, getting it up to five seems to be taking a bit more time.

One advantage of celebrity points is Scott has an agent who calls with opportunities all the time. One was to do a commercial for Doo Peas Corporate Towers and he got paid a nice, hefty sum for that. I've found that since the acting career pays very little in the early levels, doing the opportunities for the agent can really give the Sim an advantage, and a lot of money - more than he'll earn acting.

Next up is my vampire.

No comments: