Friday, June 5, 2009

Sireta's Blog - Part 2

(Tuesday)
This is where I work, but they won’t let me use my camera inside, so I can’t show you what it’s like here.

So, this is the pick this town has to offer? Seriously, I’m going to be a single, hopeless romantic forever, and I’m going to stop looking out the door as I pass. *shudder*

Okay, my second day at work – I really tried to be friendly with my co-workers, but it put such a strain on me that by the time 3:00 came, I was beat, all I wanted to do was go home. I didn’t even talk to Bulf who picks me up everyday.

Off to the Maywood Glen for the chess tournament. For some reason all I can hear is the lyrics to some old song running through my head.

“I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike.” *

Arriving in the park, I know I should have skipped it this time. I’m hungry, tired, and need a shower, but I really want to do this and I think I can beat this guy.

And another one bites the dust. Unfortunately a long day and hunger won out; I left the tournament without finishing.

I headed over to Hogan’s Deep-Fried Diner for a bite to eat. Seems to be a nice, family style restaurant. Cameras aren't allowed in here either, or I'd show you the place. :(

(Wednesday)
Oooh, I need someone to take care of sometimes. What better than a goldfish? I named him Bobbi; or her.

(Thursday)
If there’s one thing everyone does in a small is gossip about the important families. My co-worker, Jamie Jolina, actually grabbed me from the lab to see Gunther and Cornelia Goth. The Goths are one of the richest families in Perseus.

Later that morning, passing by the front door, I mistakenly looked out again. This time I was with Jamie so I asked her what the hell the attraction was of standing outside the hospital reading the paper. She wasn’t sure.

As my ride turned to head back to my home, I was once again stressed and overworked. This job is no longer fun. Maybe there’s something available in the science field. Perhaps if I ride over to Landgraab Industries Science Facility on my next day of, see if anything’s available.

Tris Verur moved in across the street. Finally someone not too insanely ugly, but he still leaves a lot to be desired. At least he seams to have a brain, even if he does favor black. He says he’s in the athletic field, I can sure believe that. The man has muscles.

WTF, I was just getting ready for bed when I looked out my window and saw this toddler sitting outside Tris’ house. Then even worse, I saw what I presume was his father inside with Tris. What kind of man leaves his child outside when he visits at 11:48 p.m? By that token, who visits at 11:48 p.m. with or without a toddler?

(Friday)
I know you’re going to think I’m nuts, but I cannot stand to sit on this dirty toilet. It seriously gives me the ickies.

Ah shit, this is going to be a seriously bad day. The house is dirty, I stayed too late at Tris’ and got a bad night’s sleep. Then the morning started with a cold shower and now the damn thing’s broken. What the hell else can happen?

I could try to fix the shower, but I think I’ll call someone to do it for me.

(Saturday)
Thank the Spirits, I finally have a day off from that horrid job and I can get my house clean. I’m tired of cringing every time I go near the toilet.

I’ve slept on it, and I’ve actually decided I don’t want a science job; I want a career in journalism. I want to have fun. A long way from the Science Guildmasters, I know, but I hated the medical profession and just could not work my way up the corporate ladder.

All right, I got a job as Paper Girl at Doo Peas Corporate Towers. Starting Monday at 8:00 a.m. for 38 an hour.

I’ve decided that since I’m here, I’ll take a writing class – it certainly can’t hurt my future in journalism.

A beautiful day for sitting in the park across from Doo Peas.

I brought my book along. I just couldn’t be happier. A good romance, a beautiful day, and just the birds singing to disturb me.

I went to visit Tris after I finished my book. We’ve become friends. It’s so nice to have a friend. I think I’d like to kiss him, but I’m not sure. He’s so flirty.

*Bicycle Race by Queen

Day 1

10 comments:

thewynd said...

What a shame you cannot go inside the buildings...that seems really odd to me. Tris looks like he has potential. Loved Sireta's last line.

The colors and detail are really nice but I still don't know if I could adjust to the plastic feel of the characters. This really is fun to watch though!

S.B. said...

glad you hear you're having fun playing around with this! sounds like the first time I got TS2 then rapidly got VERY VERY bored with basic gameplay. Maybe that won't happen for you for a while.

what's the deal with "no cameras" inside community lots? if that's the right way to describe them.

Very pretty scenery. Still ZERO interest on my part in buying the thing though.

Unknown said...

Hey Gayl, no kidding, you can't even go in the grocery store! You get a pop up with grocery item choices like vegies, and meat, and fish and bubble bath. I couldn't understand why there was never a choice for taking a bubble bath until I finally went to the grocery store. If you want food from the fridge and there aren't the proper ingredients for a meal, the fridge will charge you, just like Sims 1.

Tris is the male I created in CAS. It was the best I could do, and he still leaves a lot to be desired. Flirty is one of the five traits I picked for him. One of the others is great kisser :)

The characters are plastic. Thank you! I really wanted to use this more as a "this is what you can and can't do, decide for yourself" rather than a review. I'm sure there are lots of things I'll miss just because of my play style. :D

Hehehe S.B. I played TS2 base for all of about a month before I got bored and went back to my rpg's and adventure games. There are a lot of them on my shelves bought after TS2. I expect this will last about that long, but with using it to tell a story, maybe it'll go longer. Also, I still have all my stories and TS2 fully expanded and SP'd so, I know where to go for a challenge. :D

Yes, they're community lots. You can't go into anyplace they work, grocery story mentioned in reply to Gayl. Actually there are 16 of what EA calls venues, places where Sims can go and do things, but only 9 visitable places and most of them are parks. :/ This is a big gripe of mine!

Don't blame you, if I didn't always rush out... but since I did, I just want to share and let you choose. I don't want to do a review, I want to show what there is. I knew you'd like the scenery. I really like the bike and the fact you can walk everywhere.

Unknown said...

Oops, one more comment. That's the only fish bowl available. I haven't seen a fish tank, although I admit I haven't scoured the buy mode either, but I did look specifically for a fish tank. The buy mode and build modes are going to take some getting used to the way they're laid out, although there is an option for the old familiar style we're used to, but it's not the first choice to appear so I have to remember to click it. :(

S.B. said...

well I really appreciate the time and effort you're taking to show what's possible and what's not possible. This is actually the first time I haven't rushed out and immediately bought the next thing. The restrictions are so strange.

Unknown said...

Thank you, S.B., I am enjoying playing and I thought for a long time about not getting it because I didn't want to give up TS2 and my storytelling is all TS2. Well, frankly, I look at it as just another neighborhood to play, but if I want the full-featured version, I'll play TS2. Also, there's nothing to compare with TS2 for storytelling.

You're right the restrictions are strange, and very annoying. I absolutely do not understand why I can't go into the grocery store to buy groceries. I don't understand why I can't go into the bookstore, even though I can buy any number of books that do any number of different things. Actually, I don't understand the purpose for the buildings I can't go into, including City Hall, btw, at all. Why bother, except they make the town look nice. For all intents and purposes they're plopables and nothing more.

Getting clothes irritates me. Using the chest of drawers, in my case, I plan outfit and it opens CAS, with a CAS room and everything. Then I choose the clothing, and if I want to change colors, textures, etc, I can do it and save. You pick the accessories to go with outfits as well, rings, bracelets, watches, earrings, etc. Which also reminds me, when Sims are married there is no ring on their finger. I'm not sure about engagement because I didn't leave them engaged long enough to notice. :D So, I went to the plan outfit, CAS accessories and gave Tris a gold band on his left ring finger and Sireta a diamond for the same finger. I just don't get some of the changes. This is only a handful of the strangeness that's TS3.

On the plus side, there are a boatload of challenges that keep you busy. I started my sims as young adults with the longest possible lifespan per stage, I think it was like 195 days before they become adults, this, at least, gives enough time to actually do something with them. I'm assuming I'll be able to do the same with the adult stage, so they live longer, and I *think* I can actually turn aging off, but I haven't looked at that screen since I first set the game up.

Also, I've run across some things that I'm hoping are bugs that will be fixed, otherwise, I have no explanation for them, such as why I pay a maid 125 simolians and they stand outside the house for ages than eventually come in, I think, I'm really not even sure about that since my Sims are usually not home when the maid comes and the bed is usually unmade. :/ The four time speeds don't work properly, and so on... These, however, I expected. We've always paid EA to bug-test their game. :p

Mao said...

I still haven't bought it, SB, LOL! There are better ways, you know, cough. Especially with that precious connection you have!

Anyway, Lachesis, I'm glad you're enjoying it! The initial shiny is quite fun, but now I'm struggling with what to do next. I'm big on gameplay though, versus storytelling and I want my multiple houses, dang it!

Your sim turned out great! I tried to make myself, but her face was too fat. Took me awhile to figure out you can shrink down face sizes.

Fiance and I are mostly unimpressed, though. If I had bought it, well, yeah. EA would be getting it back with a present inside. Same deal with Societies. But it's a fun game... just doesn't belong as an heir to such an amazing franchise. Period. Not to mention all the items/etc they gutted to put on that ill-conceived store. Sigh. The base game has less content than TS2 base.

But the scenery, I like. I like that the neighborhood seems full with trees/etc, even if everyone else is mindless zombies. As for the graphics, you're not missing much. I have everything on high and so does fiance... the textures are crap. If you zoom up close to sims, you can see how blotchy the skin is and the lines where their hands join the arms... sigh.

Unknown said...

You're right, Mao, the initial shiny is good, but I miss so many things. I sorely miss the irreverent, warped humor. I grew up on Warner Bros. cartoons, Sims2 in so many ways reminded me of that humor. I miss the moans and groans when woohooing, I miss the fireworks (always made me think of the 70's song "Afternoon Delight"), replacing that with chimes and hearts is gross. I miss the sound effect and motion when men stand and pee, that's just two, the list is long. They've made it a sweeter game and that's just sick. Oh, sure they kept the fart and belch jokes, whoopee.

And no friggin' elf ears. LOL (Can you tell this really pisses me off?) Base TS3 has much, much less than TS2 base.

Normally I play multiple families, I've been known to have as many as 16 I'm rotating through. My *normal* game play is to play a family through a season, then go to the next. Keeps everyone growing up together and wearing the same seasonal clothes. At the moment, my TS2 neighborhood only has 5 families, but they're growing. :D Actually, I'm beginning to miss them.

I've never played legacy style with only one before. I'm going to get bored, I'm sure.

Thank you, She was my second attempt, the first - not so good. No, the CAS is not very intuitive. Also, I've only recently figured out how blending the hair colors work. I changed Tris' hair so rather than looking like it has gray streaks, it actually looks like highlights. :D

Not impressed either. Actually, I think of it along the lines of the movies Jewel of the Nile, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Mummy 2 - okay in their own right, but as sequels to really good movies, they stunk. TS3 is okay in it's own right, but like you said, it doesn't belong in the Sims world - it's buying on a name it can't compare with.

I finally have most graphics on high, and if I click the radial for utilizing the shaders, it causes my fan to run incessantly, which I can't stand - but it does look much better. Wow, if good graphics show lines in the skin, I'm glad I don't have it. I couldn't tell you if the neighborhood is growing and changing or not, I don't pay any attention to the zombies. I *do* know EA lied that you don't have to micro-manage their needs, along with other things I don't need to mention to you.

I won't even talk about the store - sucks and is a ripoff! But I will mention this, after I set up my account and claimed my 1,000 free points (which I haven't found anything to use them on yet), my game ran for shit. I couldn't figure out what had happened and kept downing my settings until it looked insanely bad. Then I quit, went to do other things came back and noticed when the launcher came up I was still logged into my account. I logged out, started the game and was able to put everything back to high. I can't prove it, I'm not that good with computers, but it sure looks to me like the damn thing must have been phoning home and taking up my processor. :( This went on for the entire time I was playing (a couple of hours).

Mao said...

MATY has all the store items up, so you can check them out there. I don't use EA Download Manager or anything... try booting the game through the .exe and NOT the launcher. I don't use the launcher and never have since they brought it into franchise. :(

Also, for your card's fan, fiance has a nvidia 1gig 200 something series that was $500 bucks and optimized for Dx10 and his card goes BONKERS with TS3. He said it's having trouble trying to slow down so it can run it, LOL

Unknown said...

Hum, Mao, now that is interesting. $1 a point is insane when I've already shelled out $50 for the game. I use MATY only for hacks, but there are exceptions to everything...

I never use the launcher to load TS2. I wondered if TS3 could bypass the same way. I should have tried. :/

Well, it's nice to know the game shits on the good cards, too. LOL Mine's merely a Gforce 256mb 6200 because I have to keep the power requirements to 250w. I live in an old Victorian with ancient wiring. I'd get a better card if I wasn't afraid of burning down my house. :D But still, that should handle this game without going insane. Especially since I have 2 gigs of ram and 3 gig processor. :/ (Not the best by any means, but it should play this game without choking.)